Wednesday, August 24, 2011

That Damn Pacifier

I chanced upon this video and I was quite irritated with the parents of this child. Watch this video of a child named Ava saying goodbye to her pacifier, crying her heart out and totally heartbroken.



Come to think of it, none of my kids ever had pacifiers and they survived. I don't see the reason why pacifiers are made, seriously. And for the sake of discussion, if my kids have had pacifiers, I will not tell them stupid things like paci-heaven because there is no such thing as paci-heaven. If I want my child to give up the pacifier, I will tell him/her that he's/she's growing up so she doesn't need the pacifier anymore. Maybe I could tease her a little that he/she is a big boy/girl and he/she still uses the pacifier.

When my kids were almost 2 years old, I told them to stop drinking milk from the bottle and start to drink milk from the glass. I tried different approaches and when one worked with the other twin, I tried on another approach to the other. Letting go is never easy to adults, what more to the kids? When my child said that she's ready to give up her milk bottle, I told her to throw the bottle in the garbage can herself and when she did, she realized that there will be no turning back.

I am not an all-knowing type of parent and I try not to be, but I feel that the kids deserve more than this BS, they deserve to know the truth. And by knowing the truth, they will be more knowledgeable about reality and facts. Eventually, they will learn that the paci heaven story is all BS and the parents will save money from buying that balloon. And for what it's worth, labeling that video in the comedy section is stupid.

Or maybe it's just me, but that's  the way I see it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...